Tuesday 11 June 2013

Salad Days - Tzatziki

I had a mini-op today to remove a cyst from my scalp.  It's been growing slowly behind my ear since my teens and I'd had enough.  It turned out to be larger than I thought, about the size of a gobstopper or small cherry tomato.  I had it done at my local surgery and the doctor and nurse were wonderful. The worst bit was the local anaesthetic.  Getting it to stop bleeding afterwards was a bit of a challenge. Head wounds bleed a lot anyway, but I tend to bleed quite freely too. Eventually I came away with a fresh dressing and a compression bandage wrapped around my head like a turban. The doctor was working late and called a couple of times to check how I was, and that the wound had stopped bleeding. Bless him, his orders for this evening were to take another painkiller, sit still in front of the TV with a big glass of water, and rest.

The thing that surprised me most is how hungry I was after I came away from the surgery. I went into the Spar, my bandaged head attracting some strange looks, and bought a tuna salad baguette and a danish pastry as a treat and was still peckish, so I needed something salad-like for a TV snack!

How about Tzatziki?  Easy to make and just as well, because in the end, I didn't even have the energy to cut up some carrot, celery and pepper for crudites and just used a few crackers to scoop it up, enjoying the crunchy, creamy texture.
I cut a length of cucumber into small pieces, popped them into a sieve with some salt to drain some of the juice out. A bit of fresh mint, chopped finely, and a crushed clove of garlic, some Greek yoghurt, mix it all together and watch Shirley Valentine on DVD.  Shame about the painkillers, I would have liked a glass of Ouzo ...

No comments: