Tuesday 1 April 2014

A Flower A Day: Simple Knitted Rose

Materials: Acrylic DK (from stash)
Techniques: Knitting

I was looking for a quick flower to ease myself into the challenge and resist the pull of the newly-started socks. There's a danger that I could spend so long deciding on my next flower that I run out of time to make it!
Since I'm on a knitting and crochet jag at the moment, I picked up some of my DK stash and 5mm needles to create a few roses. There are several patterns out there for knitted and crocheted roses, but I wanted something ultra simple so here's what I did:

Cast on 128 sts.
Row 1: Knit to end
Row 2: Purl 2 together (64 sts)
Row 3: Knit 2 together (32 sts)
Row 4: Purl 2 together (16 sts)
Row 5: Knit 2 together (8 sts)
Row 6: Purl 2 together (4 sts)
Row 7: Knit 2 together (2 sts)
Cast off

Holding the tails together underneath, swirl the knitted ruffle so that one end forms the centre and the other end is underneath. Tie the tails together and use them to sew the rose onto ....

Actually, I'm not sure what I'm going to use these for.  They could go on a nice squooshy pillow, on top of a tea cosy, use several to create a flower ball, group a couple as a corsage, or use as part of a flower scarf (which I am still thinking about).

No comments: